#my college experience tag -
a quick way for you to feel better about yourself
• you may feel like a ditz • but don't worry • you probably haven't done this • or this • about this blog
himynameisrandom said: This actually does sound pretty fun.
I had to keep myself from laughing when I looked at the syllabus!
I came to class late (a tray fell on my head in the bathroom while I was brushing my teeth - it’s a long story). Anyway, I came to class late and she was lecturing on the chemicals currently used in farming and how this news slips under the radar unless you’re actively aware… I don’t know. It had something to do with the nature of “Change.” I missed the starting point of that tangent.
For five minutes I sat there thinking I’d wandered into the wrong class. I was literally sweating. I couldn’t walk out without her noticing at that point, so I just tried to accept the fact I missed my first class of the semester to listen to her talk about organic food for 80 minutes.
My Mythology class is a 300-level Intensive Writing course that includes such assignments as:
- Examine the role of New Self vs. Real Self in the Beauty and the Beast plot summary on Disney Wiki
- Analyze Bell Hook’s essay “Language: Teaching New Worlds/New Words”
- Answer the question, ‘How are we not ourselves?’ as it pertains to this episode of Mushi-Shi (on Hulu)
- Read Margo Jefferson’s book on Michael Jackson
- A multimedia project that accompanies your original myth
- Write a reaction to the film M. Butterfly.
If it weren’t for the minefield of ways to fail, I’d say this course was made for me.
The legacy of this pretentious asshole I knew in high school has reverberated throughout the Writing Department of my college. The fact I’ve only had 1 class with him in 4 years doesn’t matter. His name pops up every time a professor has an exasperated anecdote.
PUBLISHING: “You can be as creative as you want with the cover but don’t make it obscene. What do I mean by obscene? Last semester I had a boy who insisted he put a penis on the cover of his poetry journal. He said, ‘It’s an artistic choice!’ I said, ‘No, D.J. that’s pornography. Don’t turn it in.’”
THESIS: “You have to justify and analyze why you chose your subject. If you write about a high school carrying on during a zombie outbreak you need to explain the significance of that… Something deeper than, ‘That’s what D.J. wanted to write about.’ “
JOURNALISM: “You need to be clear and to the point. I’ve had some students complain that this hinders their creative, uh, mojo - “
himynameisrandom said: That just sounds unreasonable.
I can’t think of her rules in terms of reasonable or unreasonable because my opinion has no bearing on them, ya know? She hasn’t changed her rules in ten years. All I need to do is follow them. And she’s right about one thing: I’ll need to work at that level if I get a job at a magazine, or wherever.
It just feels like there’s a lot at stake on every little thing.
I survived my first Thesis class.
Now I just gotta wrap up that Incomplete I still have from last semester so I can fucking graduate * lol
(* by ‘lol’ I mean ‘sobbing loudly in the shower’)
• okay but my thesis professor is very approachable and to the point • my mythology prof says if you're late 3 times you fail her class • if you get a d in one of her grading criterias (including the quizzs worth 10% of the overall grade) you fail the class • if you skip out on the short individual public speaking you fail the entire class • like it's her class and i don't think it'll be that hard • i'm just a little stressed that there's no margin for error • my entire college experience has led to this mythology not the thesis lol • I realize I misspelled a few things here but I'm too lazy to go back and re-type it all up • just so you don't think I'm a total idiot
okay but a story about an asexual pirate who gets made fun of by the crew until he saves all of them from sirens
A pirate for the adventure, not the booty
oh my gosh i want that on a bumper sticker
Trying to pilot a ship here. Thanks.
IT GOT BETTER
Lipstick Museum Berlin
(Source: , via lighthousebeams)
• make up • vintage • berlin • has a lipstick museum why does germany get all the cool stuff now? • they have these little electronic games you can play while waiting at a crossway • with the people waiting on the other side of the street • someone write a meet cute scene for that
- The Dust On This Poem Could Choke You/ Lora Mathis lora-mathis (via tiredestprincess)